Sunday 4 December 2011

Lady in Red Part One: Jasmine Blouse

At the beginning of the year, I asked if anybody knew of a pattern for this blouse.  


I particularly loved the flowing lines, the sleeves and the bow, but sadly, no suggestions were forthcoming.  Fast forward a few months and Colette Patterns had quite obviously been reading my mind because their Jasmine blouse was exactly what I was after.


There were a few candidates for fabric, but I had to think carefully as this top is cut on the bias, making any print pattern appear on the diagonal.  In the end I went for a solid red (surprise, surprise). Partly because I thought the blouse would look awesome in red (which it does) but mostly because I'd scored yet again on the charity shop fabric front (3.5 metres of red crepe-backed satin for £3).  I chose to use the crepe side as my right side -  a red satin bow blouse might be just a tiny bit over the top for day wear. I've never worked with crepe-backed satin before and was surprised to find it's actually quite weighty. This does give it a lovely drape but it also makes it quite thick, which was a bit of a trial when it came to the collar and facings, but no great tragedy.


After my disastrous experience sewing with slippery fabrics on the bias, you'd think I'd have learnt my lesson.  Wrong.  Cutting it out was, in short, a nightmare.  And the icing on the cake was that within an hour of cutting it out, Sunni posted her foolproof guide to cutting slippery fabrics.  Doh.

The sizing was interesting.  Apart from the Crepe dress, I'm always the same size for Colette patterns - a size 8 - but the 8 I cut out was way too roomy and shapeless.  Taking an enormous gamble, I then took the blouse apart, laid all my pattern pieces out flat again and cut them down a size.  I was able to use Sunni's slippery fabric cutting method this time, which worked like magic, hoorah. The smaller size fit  perfectly, with just the right amount of roominess. I think the blouse benefits from being on the loose side, which is a departure for me as I like everything very fitted, but I do love how it looks tucked in.


The clever bias cut gives it shape without gripping you and you get the benefit of no zips or buttons.  So my advice on sizing for the Jasmine?  Go down a size.

On the collar front, I now wish I'd made Option 1, which has far more of a pussy bow style collar.  The plus side of the collar on version 2 is that it looks a bit nautical - so a perfect match for my sailor trousers.


The only downside is that with one thing and another, the making of this blouse slipped down my list, and now that it's finished, it's too cold to wear it.  I'll just have to save it for spring.

**Update** I was being extremely thick there, but luckily my readers know how to solve a wardrobe conundrum better than me - I shall, of course, wear it with a cardigan and get some wear out of it before spring. Duh! x

Happy Sunday everybody. x


40 comments:

  1. Oh my god, Jane. I love it! You look absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! I just ADORE this blouse!! Quite possibly my favourite thing you've made....besides your crepe, and oh your jacket...oh, I love everything you've made!! THis is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is so cute. I love the way the blouse fits you, and the choice of colour. I've noticed you love red lipstick, and this will definitely give you that stunning look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks beautiful - the pattern is so pretty and I love your fabric choice. I'll be sure to check out the cutting-out-slippery-fabrics tips, thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful- for the first time, I'm now thinking of making this! I think it'll also look great with a cardigan so don't leave it till the spring.

    I also LOVE your picture in the last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful blouse in a gorgeous fabric. I'm very impressed with your charity shop find, Jane. I disagree that it's too cold though - a lovely knit over the top and you're good to go! Thanks for the tips on sizing - i have yet to purchase the Jasmine pattern but your version is tempting me very much x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, its gorgeous!! This pattern has been on my wishlist since it came out :)
    You should layer it with a cardi so you can wear it now!
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I could wear a cardigan couldn't I?!!! God, sometimes I surprise myself by how thick I am! Thanks travelling-Soo and Joanne for the obvious-to-any-idiot-but-me advice!
    Travelling-Soo, thank you for your picture comment - I'll tell my husband, his friend painted it. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! :D
    Mine still isn't cut out... and now I am in a quandary over size.
    And there are those trousers again, taunting me with my indecision!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's absolutely gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's absolutely divine. The colour suits you so well. I think it might be one of my favourite makes of yours, too! NB I love that painting - please tell me this isn't your HOUSE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you everybody! Karen, ha ha, yes it is my house! That picture's in my front room! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a knock-out, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous! That color is incredible on you! I can't wait to try Jasmine - I ordered the book and pattern bundle as a Christmas present to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW ! Lovely home, GORGEOUS Jasmine !! You did an excellent job and the fit looks perfect. I really like both the colour and the style on you, and think the bow you went with looks great. The trousers are also fab btw !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really do suit red Jane, no wonder you love it so. I am adding this pattern to my list now darn it !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jane, it looks awesome and you look absolutely stunning!

    I have this pattern stashed and waiting for Spring to make it. With cold weather, even with a cardigan this wouldn't be enough to keep me warm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this so much Jane!!! Everything about it is so divine and I love how you paired it with your sailor trousers and the colour of course is a winner on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look fab! The blouse is lovely and really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Jane, that is so beautiful! It looks absolutely amazing. Definitely don't wait til Spring: wear it everywhere and astound people that you made it! The Jasmine pattern is on my christmas list... argh, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely stunning Jane and clever you for making those changes. I, too, am a huge fan of red but I don't tend to wear it though although I bought some fab red fabric the other day. That style is a winner and yes, a cardi .. what would we ever do without them?!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! This pattern is on my Christmas list so hopefully someone will buy it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This blouse is on my next to tackle list once the travel wardrobe is ready. Love it in red.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, what a knockout outfit and blouse! Well done! And the redder the better! As in your colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blouse looks lovely Jane. Very striking and very seasonal - in colour if not warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I'd never thought of using the crepe side of the crepe backed satin before - what a good idea! Bet it feels very luxurious to wear. it looks great with those trousers too. I've got my fabric all ready for my Jasmine blouse but the cold weather has put me off for now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks stunning on you! What an amazing shade of red!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ToTally fabulous Jane. It just shouts quality and is super stylish! Beautiful beautiful. And the fabric is divine xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is perfectly lovely, Jane. I am so thrilled that my pattern will be arriving any day....thanks for the construction and sizing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful! I erally love that pattern and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jane this is fabulous. Fabulous fabulous fabulous. And it's a really lovely colour on you! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wowsers - gorgeous, just gorgeous!!! Definitely the nicest Jasmine I've seen. I want it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh it's lovely! Where do you get these amazing charity shop finds from? V jealous. I've nearly finished my Jasmine, it's a brilliant pattern for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A great fabric for this and a great color. I think the heavier weight works well. Thanks for pointing me to the slippery fabric tute!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, love it! and it looks great with the trousers. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jane, this is immensely stunning! And a three quid score on the fabric... thats amazing!!! Now I have got lucky with charity shop fabric before but never come across such luxury as that! Works perfectly with your strides... you look fabulous! x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks fab. Are your sailor trousers RTW. Love them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...