Wednesday 2 November 2011

How to get yourself a snood if you can't knit....

When I first saw Did You Make That's gorgeous hand knitted chunky wool snood, I knew it was the missing link in my autumnal neck gear.  Taking only an evening or two to whip up, it seemed like the perfect project for a knitter to get their teeth into.  Only one problem - I can't knit.

I've tried and failed at knitting (well, once, about 30 years ago), so what methods could I use to get my hands on one?  Firstly, I entered Karen's giveaway to win an identical one, but the lucky winner that time was Scruffy Badger, and very gorgeous she looks in hers too.  Then I watched the screen, open-mouthed, whilst reading this post from Pincushion Treats.  Very, very admirably, Melizza taught herself to knit and made herself a gorgeous pink version as her first knitting project. Feeling suitably humbled, I took the only option now left.  I phoned my mum and asked her to knit me one....

I used the same wool Karen recommended.  Sorry, that should read, my lovely mum, Lily, used the same wool Karen recommended - Sirdar Big Softie in Boho.  A day later, this arrived through the post:


It was perfect!  I've never worn a snood before but I'm now a convert.  It's so cosy and elegant and I love the chunky look of the stitches.

Looking slightly deranged, wearing a snood and short sleeves but I don't care

You're never too old to have something hand knitted for you by your mum. Thanks mum!  And thanks Karen for the original inspiration, I think you may have started a snood frenzy. x

12 comments:

  1. Woah! That is ONE awesome snood. Your mum is a great knitter. I can't believe this - my blog post has spawned four different versions. I'm going to have to have a round up. You look lovely in your snood. I am so proud! Great, funny blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was in awe of Mela's snood, considering she's self-taught! I've been to 3 knitting lessons, but I still don't understand the instructions for this pattern...and yes, I have looked!

    Does your mum take custom orders? ;o) The snood she made you is just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the snood. And I think that as it is a perfect bit of inter-season dressing to team it with the short sleeves! Why not? Tis a lush colour too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh i love it! i wish my mama knitted. she just sews - a lot of good that does me, since anything that needs to be sewn i can just do myself! haha!

    i am teaching myself how to knit because i want a snood, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color and thick yarn! Hmm, I might have to give knitting another go, this looks nice and warm (and I'd love an excuse to say "snood")! And, hey, snoods and short sleeves are all the rage these days, or should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Jane, I love how you told this story!! It made me chuckle. Fab snood- we can be snood sisters!! It's getting cold enough. Well done lily, great that there are still things your daughter needs you for!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love snoods, bought one from H&M last year and it's not nearly as nice as your one. I love it when my mum makes stuff for me or the kids - it's always better than my attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! I love your story and your snood. I needed an evening chuckle. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute, how fun Jane. It looks warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Te he, such a cunning plan. Hmm I wonder if my mum would get her knitting needles out for me if i asked her nicely.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving the teal colour! After seeing a few versions of this snood I am certainly tempted to give it a go, especially since it seems to knit up so quickly (my favourite kind of project!). Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me laugh, such a great plan! My MIL kits but we have very different taste and I am desperate to point her in direction of things I'd really like as she knits me things that have taken so much time and care but in really bad colours (and I'm being quite polite here, I do mean REALLY BAD colours), I do of course say thanks and wear them anyway. I do have a vast supply of great hand knitted german socks though - bonus!

    It's lovely. Beth (the linen cat)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...