I had one final holiday sewing project to complete before getting carried away with autumn sewing and my requirements were pretty clear:
- a light dress/cover up to wear over my swimsuit
- simple and quick to make
- an inexpensive make as I’d only be wearing it for one week this year
Hhhmm, what could I make? In my head I’d been thinking of my red gingham cover up dress from 1974.
My bikini wearing days are well and truly over, but I wanted to make something that would remind me of that happy holiday. What pattern(s) could possibly fulfil this tough list of requirements? Enter the Sorbetto/Ginger dress. Or should that be the Sorbinger? Or the Gingetto?.....
Anyway, I’d seen versions of the Colette Patterns Sorbetto as a dress before, and was quite taken with the idea. Sarah’s shift version was a great inspiration, but I wanted mine to have more shape to the skirt section, so I simply used my Ginger skirt pattern for the skirt part. It’s basically a Sorbetto top and Ginger skirt merged together. It was a very satisfying make: all the top edges are neatly bias bound and the sides and shoulders have French seams so everything is super neat.
The fabric was two metres of a textured, very lightweight gingham which I managed to buy on a recent clandestine visit to the Goldhawk Road (I was supposed to be sorting out a day trip for my children). At £2.50 a metre I was happy to muck around with two different patterns and not be gutted if it all went horribly wrong.
Like my Sorbetto top before it, this dress looks more flattering on me when it’s nipped in at the waist, as the boxiness of the design simply doesn’t suit my shape. Hence the belt...
Once I’d cut out the pattern pieces, I managed to whip it together in the time it took my husband to bath the kids. I had to sew on the bias binding at a later date, but I'd estimate the total time to complete the project, including drafting and cutting out, to be about two hours. I'm not kidding myself - I know it's a very plain, simple make - but that's exactly what I wanted. Now, all I need is a co-ordinating polka dot bucket and I’m ready for my hols…. x