Thursday 18 August 2011

The Sorbetto/Ginger Dress

I had one final holiday sewing project to complete before getting carried away with autumn sewing and my requirements were pretty clear:

  • a light dress/cover up to wear over my swimsuit
  • simple and quick to make
  • an inexpensive make as I’d only be wearing it for one week this year
Hhhmm, what could I make?  In my head I’d been thinking of my red gingham cover up dress from 1974.  

My bikini wearing days are well and truly over, but I wanted to make something that would remind me of that happy holiday.  What pattern(s) could possibly fulfil this tough list of requirements?  Enter the Sorbetto/Ginger dress.  Or should that be the Sorbinger?  Or the Gingetto?..


Anyway, I’d seen versions of the Colette Patterns Sorbetto as a dress before, and was quite taken with the idea.  Sarah’s shift version was a great inspiration, but I wanted mine to have more shape to the skirt section, so I simply used my Ginger skirt pattern for the skirt part.  It’s basically a Sorbetto top and Ginger skirt merged together.  It was a very satisfying make: all the top edges are neatly bias bound and the sides and shoulders have French seams so everything is super neat.  


The fabric was two metres of a textured, very lightweight gingham which I managed to buy on a recent clandestine visit to the Goldhawk Road (I was supposed to be sorting out a day trip for my children).  At £2.50 a metre I was happy to muck around with two different patterns and not be gutted if it all went horribly wrong.

Like my Sorbetto top before it, this dress looks more flattering on me when it’s nipped in at the waist, as the boxiness of the design simply doesn’t suit my shape.  Hence the belt


Once I’d cut out the pattern pieces, I managed to whip it together in the time it took my husband to bath the kids.  I had to sew on the bias binding at a later date, but I'd estimate the total time to complete the project, including drafting and cutting out, to be about two hours. I'm not kidding myself - I know it's a very plain, simple make - but that's exactly what I wanted.  Now, all I need is a co-ordinating polka dot bucket and I’m ready for my hols…. x

40 comments:

  1. That's brilliant, Jane. Clever you! I love the dress and the fabric. Clandestine visits to Goldhawk Road - how very naughty, hee hee! Sorbinger, Gingetto - ha, ha, ha. I dunno, neither of them have quite the right ring, do they?! What a fabulous make. I'm tempted myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great! I'm not a terribly big fan of a boxy shape on me either, which is probably why I haven't sewn a Sorbetto yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NB Love that belt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karen and Stephanie. x Karen, the belt was £1 from Primark about five years ago and is the most perfect shape and size. Sadly it's made from cheapo fake leather so won't last for ever - I'll be gutted when it finally falls to pieces! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking of sewing a sorbetto dress too and yours is just so pretty! Love the red checks, belt and bag. Such a pretty outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! What a great merge of two great patterns. The dress looks really great on you. I do love gingham :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh lovely! How very clever. I love that the centre pleat makes the dress just that little bit more stylish somehow too, it's a great design feature.

    Have a lovely holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea - and it looks fab on you! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea, and the finished article looks great. Personally, I like Sorbinger as a name :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. For such an easy make, this looks fantastic Jane! You are going to look so chic on your holiday! I love the potential names - Sorbinger or Gingetto - they're both excellent, how will choose one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, fab dress! Great idea to combine the patterns. Have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes easy and fast frocks are the best because they give you a recharge for sewing something crazy. It's darling - and does not look easy and fast, but more chic and fun with a little playfulness thrown in. Have a wonderful holiday! This is the perfect dress for it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute and clever! I tend to shy away from boxy shifts too, but here you've shown that a belt can do wonders. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So summery! You look like strawberries and cream in this my dear, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious! Just the thing to pop over togs but I reckon it's smart enough to wear anywhere too.
    Are you doing Self stitched September? I found your SSJ posts very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a great dress on you and looks like the perfect beach cover up.

    I can't quite remember how I got to your lovely blog but I've been reading along for a while now, enjoying your sewing adventures. It is always fun to see what you will make next.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks fabulous! What a clever idea to combine the two patterns. I love the pleat down the center, it just gives it that little bit extra. I love the red accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's wonderful and looks great on you.

    Enjoy your holiday and hope you find that polka dot bucket and matching red spade!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It definitely has that seaside holiday mood! And the belt makes it town-smart too. Another success!

    ReplyDelete
  21. the perfect dress to end summer with!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's amazing! You're very clever! The fabric is lovely, and I really like the binding too (and the belt). Sorbinger/Gingetto ...
    brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Too cute! I found you from the Burda website today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love this dress. The red check and belt is inspired styling.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just lovely. And in just a couple of hours. You are so clever x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a flattering dress...you can never go wrong with a great a-line style. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Brilliant! Great idea!!! So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh you are a clever girl! (but we knew that already).

    Have a great holiday, I hope you have a lovely time and come back feeling nice and refreshed.

    Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Sorbetto as a dress is so dreamy. I love it and the fabric choice. You can never go wrong with polka dots or gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks wonderful! I love the gingham!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I may have to steal this idea from you. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. O Jane, this is too wonderful for words - it really does conjure up vintage holidays - is it the bright gingham? It is totally cute & suits you - I hope it was well worn in plenty of sunshiney days by the sea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry I am late getting here, LOVE THIS DRESS!!! I gasped when I so it! This is what I would wear everyday of the week. Love the red!!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks amazing!! I'm totally inspired by it. I love the way it came out, and the belt is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Breathtakingly gorgeous dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You inspired me to make a Sorbetto dress of my own, yours is so lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Dear. Jane,

    Lord,Girl I hesitate to say this, however true it is stated. You are phenomenally talented and I absolutely love your choices ! That said, I think I'm developing a girl (and wardrobe) crush .
    Beautiful Postings,
    Elise x0

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely, lovely dress, making a Sorbetto dress is such a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...