Sunday 17 July 2011

The Ginger Super Skirt


If you fancy a bit of stash busting and about two hour’s sewing, here's what you do - make yourself a Colette Patterns Ginger skirt.  I’ve been meaning to make one for ages but couldn’t quite decide which fabric to use.  Then I saw Lauren's fab denim version full of attitude, and my mind was made up.  I absolutely love Lauren's Lladybird blog, the clothes she makes are right up my street (lots of gingham and polka dots) and her attention to detail is second to none.  She’s also made the most beautiful dress I’ve ever seen....  Now that I’ve embarrassed the poor girl to death, I’ll move on to the Ginger skirt.


This is a great pattern for a beginner: very few pattern pieces, simple, clear instructions and, for me, anyhow, a good fit.  If you’re thinking of sewing your first garment then I’d highly recommend it.  There is an invisible zip but don’t let that put you off, just read on!

On my bottom half at least, Colette patterns are a very good fit – I cut a straight size 8 and it fitted perfectly with no adjustments.  The Ginger is a high waisted A-line skirt with a retro look about it.  For those of you who are interested, it also has a very flattering midriff as it tends to pull you in around the stomach area (always a good thing in my case).


I used a dark denim from my stash that was left over after I made my boys a beanbag. Because the denim is quite thick, I used a thinner cotton for the inner waistband facing.  Unusually for me, I went for a print type that doesn’t usually interest me.  


That was a joke, I had a light blue polka dot in my stash and couldn’t resist!

The only bit that might put a beginner off is the invisible zip.  On my dressmaking course, my tutor taught us how to insert an invisible zip using just a standard zipper foot.  The garments I’ve made using this method have all been OK, but it’s always a bit trial and error with lots of swearing.  For this make, I decided to splash out and buy myself an invisible zipper foot. Wow, what a difference, it makes things SO much easier and neater.  I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to buy one but I’m now a true convert.  The only slight nagging feeling I have is the combination of slightly wussy, weakling child invisible zip coupled with sturdy workman’s denim.  I should probably have used a more robust zip – I’ll let you know how it fares…

Sorry vintage McCall’s 7978 your reign as queen of the A-line skirt patterns is officially over.  You’ve just been usurped by the Ginger.  I’m finding it difficult to imagine a day when I WON’T be wearing this one! x

18 comments:

  1. The Ginger looks great! Its got such a good shape to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! Hmm, I might have to add a denim skirt to my 'to sew' list :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the denim is great - and love the lining too. My ginger is cut out but still sitting in the WIP pile, must dig it out and sew it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I love the polka dot lining. I'm sure you'll wear this all the time. I'm just about to insert an invisible zipper into a dress for the first time - wish me luck... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tsssssk! I do NOT need this temptation!
    Ginger is clearly a better shaped a-line than I ever suspected and it took your denim version to prove it to me. Tarnation!
    You WILL wear that every day! Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jane, I love it! This post has made me even more excited about making up my own version! Off to order an invisible zip foot now...and maybe some denim ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, do not parade your fabulous denim skirts in front of me! Are you some kind of sadist? I've sworn blind I'm not buying any more patterns for a while, but this is almost too much to resist. You can't beat a denim skirt. Thanks too for the link to a blog I didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I've decided to treat myself to another colette pattern and this is one I'm considering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooooo cute!! Now I need a THIRD Ginger skirt, this time in denim! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need some yeeha cowboy boots!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw shucks girl, you just made me blush! haha! thank you for the sweet compliments :)

    love your version of the ginger! i looove this pattern so much, it's so versatile & easy to make! and flattering! ughhh i want more of them haha.

    i used to insert my invisible zippers with a regular zipper foot too... when i finally buckled down & bought the actual foot (i use a pfaff so i can't buy those ~adjustable~ plastic invisible zipper foots they sell for $5 at joann's; mine was more like $30 lol jeez) i was just mad at myself for waiting so long to get one! bonus: invisible zipper feet actually work really well for thin piping, if you don't have a piping foot :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE it! The fit looks great and that back shot with the zip - so neat and tidy (your lovely sewing I mean). I'm a big fan of A-line skirts so this would be a winner pattern for me. Thanks for sharing :) Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane it's adorable - no wonder you've the cheesey grin! I like the detail under the waistband too - very pretty. I am also trying to resist the Ginger, as it feels as if I too have SO many patterns, amongst which must be A line skirts in double figures ....BUT ... maybe I'll take your advice & Lladybird's to get me an invisible zip foot - I too have a Pfaff, so in't interesting to hear her point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo neat! The shape of this skirt is so flattering. And need I say anything about the adorable facing?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks gorgeous on you! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your skirt! I am tempted... but I need more time in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photo made me want to buy this pattern.

    Also, what is the brand of your shoes? i am enamored.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...