Saturday 18 June 2011

Violet in Polka Dots

Along with gingham, polka dots will always hold a special place in my heart.  In fact it's a daily battle to stop myself sewing every single thing I make in polka dots, I love them so.  When I first saw the Colette Patterns Violet blouse pattern, with its super-cute Peter Pan collar, there was never any doubt what fabric I'd use for it!  So without further ado, let me introduce you to Miss Violet..



I used a stretch cotton polka dot fabric I found in Cheltenham and vintage fish-eye buttons from eBay. In terms of construction, this is probably my favourite Colette pattern to date.  Everything fits together perfectly, just like a jigsaw.  It probably helps that the last few tops I've made have all been blouses with collars and facings, so it was pretty easy for me to get my head round the instructions from the start.  It came together like a dream and I had no sizing issues.  I made a size 8 (I'd say the equivalent of a UK size 12) and the only adjustment I made was to lengthen it by 1.5 inches.  This was because I thought I'd like to wear it untucked, but actually the style of the blouse looks best tucked in on me.  It's still wider at the waist than I'm used to and I was considering taking the side seams in but actually, once tucked in, it's more comfortable having that extra bit of room.  I'm especially pleased with the fit across the bust and the shoulders - the two areas where I usually encounter problems.


I'm really pleased with it.  I love the neat, feminine style and it has some really pretty details: back yoke gathers, slightly gathered sleeves and my personal favourite, a Peter Pan collar.


It's made me realise I need more higher waisted bottom halves in my wardrobe.  I think I'm now in dire need of a black Ginger skirt... and a red one... x

24 comments:

  1. Oh this is lovely! I think the fabric choice is just right and the buttons are great. I've just made Violet myself, and completely agree that the pattern is a dream to make up - so easy! Yes - the Ginger skirts do beckon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful outfit! I love dots too. My family and I stayed in Cheltenham during our visit to England many years back, but I wasn't sewing then so no visits to fabric shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful, really fabulous. Wondering if I might manage a Violet? I never tried to sew anything with a collar yet. Loving your me-made series as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, and yes, a Ginger skirt would look perfect with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving it - I didnt buy this pattern as I was not sure of the pics on the colette site - but I wish I had now that I have seen yours. That looks like a ginger skirt that you are wearing with it - is it ? Its a lovely combo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Jane! Erm... have you organised your bookshelf by colour?! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! Kirsty, no it's not a Ginger skirt, it's a plain old Mccall's pattern and is actually the very first thing I ever sewed! Tilly, erm yes I'm afraid they are!! But only the ones in the loft/sewing room are colour coded, my husband won't let me loose on the ones downstairs! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, you look absolutely gorgeous in that. It is just so YOU! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do indeed look fantastic in that shirt. Its gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, love love love it! Would look fab with your sailor trousers.
    Addendum to Tilly's comment...bravo! But why are you trying to squeeze between them?
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blouse is perfect! My Violet pattern should be on its way to me as we speak. After seeing your interpretation I really can't wait to receive it any longer.

    I think these loose blouses look best tucked in on 95% of the population to be honest, so high-waisted bottoms are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks gorgeous Jane! I can imagine it will go with so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty. I like Peter Pan collars too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic - love it in polka dot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks again for your comments everybody. Portia, I was trying to do a 'hands on hips' post against the piece of plain wall between the two shelves - but I sort of got stuck!! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Polka dots are lovely! Just last week 2 lengths of polka dot fabric managed to get on my bag when I was passing Goldhawk Rd. The things that happen, lol.

    I have bought Violet but not yet managed to do it (to much on my sewing list). Your assurances of a easy sew plus a gorgeous final outfit make me want to do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty blouse. And I agree with you that one can never have too many polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the polka dots, I've had to make a conscious effort not to make everything dotty too! Very pretty, it's actually the first Violet I've seen made.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh yes! And I agree that a red Ginger would be perfect! And I do love looking at the contents of other people's bookcases so thank you for that too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness, this is absolutely lovely Jane! The way you feel about polka dots, I feel about peter pan collars...so this is a must-try for me ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. so pretty! i love the violet & i've been enjoying seeing everyone's made-up versions. it looks especially good with the polka dots :) i may have to pick up the pattern for myself sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your fabric choice for this pattern! The details are very well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous!! It looks fantastic! You always have such great style, Jane. Looking through your MMJ just confirmed that. I would wear all of your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh this is so lovely! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...