Friday 27 May 2011

Another skirt from leftovers


Good morning.  This week I used up some more leftover fabric that’s been hanging around for a while.  It's lucky that I love A-line skirts, as most of my leftover pieces only seem to be A-line skirt-sized. 


I used the same vintage pattern as my last A-line made from leftovers (McCall’s 7978) and it was just as foolproof to make second time around.  The fabric was leftover from my Crepe dress which is SSOOO pretty, and I underlined it with plain white muslin.  This time I had enough to give the skirt its very own waistband - a luxury the last one sadly missed out on.  

I wanted to fiddle around with a fancy trim on the hem again, but the only trim I had in my stash that was the right colour was crossgrain ribbon. Karen from Did you Make That? first got me interested in ribbon as a skirt trimming when she added one as a facing on this skirt. Gorgeous isn’t it?   I’m definitely going to add one to the waistband of my next A-line.  For now, I just added it to the bottom hem as a contrasting touch.


Yet another one for my Me-Made-June wardrobe – hoorah.  It also feels nice and virtuous using leftover fabric and relieves me slightly (only slightly, mind you) of the guilt/horror of wasting £18 on the lining that shall remain nameless. Grrr.

I’ve got a craft show right after half term, which I’ve been working hard at getting things ready for.  Once that’s finished I’ll take another look at my Oolong….. 

Have a lovely weekend. x

18 comments:

  1. Lovely fabric and lovely skirt - you clever thing!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this fabric Jane, works well as a dress and a skirt! Look like you're doing well for Me-Made June...how exciting! Oh and good luck with the craft show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super loving this skirt! How brilliant that it was made out of left overs! You get to wear this lovely fabric more often now. Very jealous! (Hem trim is also sweet :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I love the ribbon finish - and I love how it's sort of a secret embellishment that no-one sees but you know is there - lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty skirt. You'll wear it and wear it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous skirt! And the ribbon is such a lovely detail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your skirt , the ribbon makes this extra special and your fabric is beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, you could make ten of these skirts in different colors and prints, this pattern is so great on you. It really is the perfect A line, not too full or too slim. I am struggling with making skirts due to the zippers, I am not liking how I am putting them in, it's time to look at any method. You are going to be set for MMJune!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty, glad you get to have two things from such a lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I just love that fabric! I made a dress from leftovers a couple weeks ago and it does feel amazing. (Especially when the hubby says warily "How much did that cost?" and I can say "Free".)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you go! Stash busting away, Fantastic. I have to say I have a new found appreciation for grey and I loved your dress too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm amazed by all you accomplish. Your talent of choosing fabric to pattern is an art. I love all of it !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty. It's great to have enough fabric left over after another project too, so technically your skirt was free - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful Jane. I do agree with Vintage girl... its defo your style. I've been hijacked by a demand for a bean bag amongst other things, so my dressmaking is on hold but still not enough garments in the bag for a Me Made June. Cant wait to see yours altogether. And also would love to see some shots of all your lovely craft projects. Will you be posting those too? x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely skirt! I love that fabric, and this will be perfect for those days when you don't want all over floral - just gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everybody for your lovely comments, I really appreciate them. Gina, I have to really hold myself back from not making too many of these skirts as that's all I'd ever sew, they're such a doddle to make! Elise, thank you especially for such a wonderful compliment, it's made my day. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jane it's gorgeous! I love the way you've picked out the reds. SUITS YOU SO MUCH!
    Px

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...