Thursday 28 April 2011

Another 1930's blouse



A few weeks ago, whilst on a wonderful blogger meet-up with Karen, Shivani, Zoe and Stevie, I had the pleasure of visiting Ditto Fabrics in Brighton.  I’ve bought a few things from Ditto online before, but the actual shop holds way more exciting and reasonably priced fabric than is decent.  Whilst I was in there, I found the perfect bluey/green cotton fabric for my second 1930's blouse, here's a reminder of the first one, the rabbit blouse.  


And here's the second one..


For some reason I’ve been desperate to make this blouse - I’ve been trying to sneak the odd hour in here and there but my children have been on school holidays, so I’ve had very little opportunity to sew. I finally finished it when I had my first free day yesterday.  


I used the same 1930’s pattern that I used for my rabbit blouse (Simplicity 2844) and it was as straightforward as I remember to sew together.  The big difference between this version and the rabbit version is the fabric.  There’s lots of catch stitching in this pattern.  This wasn’t a problem with the first blouse as I used a double gauze fabric, so there’s an entire extra layer to catch.  The bluey/green fabric was too tightly woven to catch stitch without it showing through on the outside, so I improvised and topstitched the facing to the front edges and collar.  



Because there’s already top stitching on the yoke and shoulders, I think it works pretty well.  To finish off, I used some of the vintage buttons I picked up in Bath – a perfect match.  I already like the shape and fit of this blouse, so didn’t bother messing about with the pattern.  This version does seem a little baggier than the first version, but I think that’s more to do with the lighter coloured, plain fabric making it seem bigger. I really love the colour though – it’s so 1930’s.  

Trying to look 1930's and blending in with the wall
I had to match it with these white sailor trousers for the photos as I needed a high waist - and I couldn’t subject you to yet another shot of my 1940’s navy strides!   On a final, gleeful note, I had enough fabric left to make something else, which isn’t quite finished yet.  More on that in the next post….

Happy Thursday. x

16 comments:

  1. The blouses look lovely - I am desperately seeking a nice summer skirt pattern, and I'm finding it rather a difficult task!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blouse!! So pretty, and a gorgeous colour! Love the trousers too. I've been wanting a pair like that for a while.
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Ditto's today buying some fabric for my Violet blouse. It was really hard choosing! Great blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fresh and lovely Jane! Equally as lovely as your rabbit version, just very different!

    Aaah, how I long to visit Ditto Fabrics in person! I'm a big fan, but have only had the pleasure of buying/browsing online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely - it looks so summery with the white trousers! Amazing how different it looks from the rabbit one! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! Love this version a lot! The colour is perfect! And I didn't realise the back was such a cool shape...the topstitching works beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! The colour really suits you. I love the v on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab blouse. Ditto is great, isn't it? But hey - I love your shelves and the teapots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic colour on you and i love the way the fabric gathers into the yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blouse is beautiful and it looks perfect paired with the white trousers. I just love that color, and I can't wait to see what you're making with what was left.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you look so lovely, the back is great too. well done!! I have the same sewing problems in the holidays. Licky you to go to Ditto, I often look on line, but have never plucked up the courage to buy fabric of the web.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful color! (and I really like your dishes)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, lovely, lovely. And I also approve of the final shot - very nice styling. Top hole (just getting in a little 1930s speak there!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The blouse looks great in the new colour, it really shows off the detail on the back photo. Really nice :) Beth/The Linen Cat x

    ReplyDelete
  15. GORGEOUS colour on you. Love the buttons too, and the top stitching works perfectly (but thenI'm partial to a bit of topstitching!) See you on the 14th :)
    Px

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...