Saturday 19 March 2011

Pendrell Mark Two


Seeing Karen's lovely Pendrell blouse at the weekend made me suddenly want to wear my own Pendrell, which I’d made last month and hadn’t got round to wearing.  I wore it earlier this week and loved it - it’s really comfortable and gives a plain outfit that little extra bit of oomph.  So, like a woman possessed, I decided I HAD to make another one IMMEDIATELY!  I’d already decided which fabric to use ages ago – this remnant of flowery fabric I picked up at a Vintage Fair.  


I’m not sure what kind of fabric it is, probably something synthetic by the feel of it.  The girl I bought it from didn’t know either and was so embarrassed about it that she gave me a huge unasked for discount (I got over two metres of vintage fabric for £7 – result!).

With the first Pendrell I made a size 10, and although I’d already adjusted the hips on the pattern, I felt it was still a bit loose in the chest.  Not so noticeable with the voile but probably more so with the stretchy mystery fabric.  So I cut out an 8 for this version and it’s a great fit.  


I used Andrea’s method of sewing extra bias binding around the neck to create a bow.  


You simply sew the binding to the outside of the blouse rather than the inside, and leave a couple of lengths dangling to form a bow. Super simple and super pretty.  I still can’t quell my fear of looking like Dog Toby, so the seam went unruffled again. I'm really pleased with it, it looks like it was born to be in my wardrobe.

The bare legged look - sadly for indoor use only at this time of year
The great thing about making second (or third) versions of patterns is that you’ve already done all the dirty work of sizing and adjusting for fit.  Plus, you’ve sewn it before, so you know all the tricks.  The second time around it’s a piece of cake (in fact this version only took me a couple of hours to sew).  I’m not the only one who thinks this way, Tilly’s just finished her third Beignet and Karen’s made three versions of her Woman’s Realm skirt with plans for several more Pendrell’s!  I don’t think this is the last you’ll see of this particular pattern….

12 comments:

  1. Lovely! I really love the fabric and it looks fab! I need to get on the ball to make mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. What a bargainous fabric, it's so lovely! I must remember that trick of asking what the fabric is (I'm usually too embarrassed that I don't know).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is so pretty! I love the fabric and the style is very feminine. So cute. Everything I make for myself turns out awful! I'm quite put out so I just make for the girls now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love it with the bow! Looks great in the vintage fabric - I really like the drapiness. I must get round to making myself a Pendrell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great when you find a pattern that suits you so incredibly well. Another lovely version of it and I adore your vintage fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable. I'm on a pattern fast, but if I see too many more of these cute blouses, I'm going to cave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty- I love the fabric choice & looks so sweet with the skirt. I too am supposed to have resolved to buy no more patterns, but all I see are wonderful Pendrells ...it's even in my dreams. How much longer can I resist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, that's gorgeous - I love it and the fit does look perfect in that size. Your shoes are beautiful too - are they Fly London?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everybody for your kind comments. Scruffybadger, not much longer by the sound of it! I thought it was just me that dreamt of sewing patterns! Florence, my shoes aren't Fly London but they are very similar - my friend has an almost identical pair from Fly. They're from (wait for it)... Marks and Spencer's! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blouse -- the blue and white is so crisp and fresh. I'm glad the bow worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loooove the Pendrell. I've already made two and am planning my third one. I want Tasia to come out with an entire line of patterns already! Will you be trying her Crescent skirt? Thanks for the comment on my blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that top! Right I will have to buy a pattern. Trying to make a quilt at the moment which is eating all my time.... Cath x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...