Monday 24 January 2011

I've made a pair of trousers!

I'm so, so proud of myself, I never thought in a million years I'd ever say those words but yes, I've actually made myself a pair of trousers and they fit!  

Yippee, my very own handmade trousers


Looking unbearably smug
They were made as part of my second sewalong hosted by The Cupcake Goddess.  


Now, I know the sewalong is still going on and I'm steaming ahead again (Florence, if you're reading this, I think I qualify for your Impatient Seamstress Sewalong!) but, in my defence there are several reasons I finished so early.  Firstly, I knew from the start I wouldn't be sewing the same pattern as everybody else, the pattern Sunni chose was Burda 127 which I wasn't keen on for two reasons a) it's a downloadable PDF and I'm rubbish at that type of thing b) the trousers are specifically for taller ladies (which was unintentional) but at 5' 2'' probably not the best pattern for me.  So I chose this 1940's retro pattern from Simplicity (3688).  


Other bloggers have said how straight forward it is to sew and they weren't wrong.  It was a really simple pattern to sew together but I wouldn't have had such success with it on my own.  If you're ever contemplating making trousers, then Sunni's (The Cupcake Goddess) tutorials are an absolute must.  She goes through ever imaginable fitting issue in a totally clear and refreshing manner, always accompanied by lots of photographs of each step.  

I made a muslin and realised I needed to decrease the front crotch curve (sorry, there's no other way of describing it!) as I didn't want bagging around that area and increase the back crotch curve to accommodate my backside.  Look away now if you're eating your lunch.

Not the greatest darts in the world but a perfectly fitted backside!
They were the only changes I made, it was as simple as that.  I think the classic cut of the pattern helps too: a slim fit around the waist and hips with wide legs, a very simple design.  The other nugget I picked up from Sunni was a tip on sewing the crotch curves together: she advised us to put one leg inside the other which wasn't the way the pattern instructions said, but her method was far easier.

I made my trousers from a lovely navy gabardine I picked up in John Lewis.  I've never sewn with gabardine before and it's officially my new favourite fabric.  It's a dream to sew with - not too thick but with lots of drape,  absolutely perfect for 1940's styles.  I've teamed it up with a striped top for these photos as to be honest, there's not much else I have that will go with such a high waist.  

Whoa, that's a high waist
I'm intending to sew this blouse soon though, 


using this fabric, 

which I'm hoping will be a perfect match for them.  Happy Monday everyone. x

37 comments:

  1. Fab! I love the skirt pattern in that pack and I am aiming to make some trousers from it myself in the next few weeks - glad to hear it's easy for a trouser-virgin! Good tip on the fabric too, I'll have to take a trip up to John Lewis myself I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are gorgeous. I love the colour and they look like they fit perfectly! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love how they turned out. I swear I used to own that pattern. I'm wondering if I got rid of them in a fit of lunacy? :P I'm still a little scared to attempt pants but someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They fit fantastically! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look fantastic on you! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great trousers. I have seen a few versions from this pattern now and I am thinking about getting it myself now. The blouse will be great with it too. Very nautical colour scheme, right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look fantastic, what a perfect fit!!! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look utterly sensational! Oh my goodness! This makes me so happy, to know that my tutorials have been helpful to someone! Such a wonderful pattern too! One I've seen and hadn't really considered, though now I'm going to have to just run out and buy it. They really do look unbelievably professional and such a treat in navy. Can't wait for the top too! Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am BUYING the Simplicity 3688. They look gorgeous and so flattering. So my style trouser. My goodness, you're steaming along!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really great on you! The fit is great. Thank you for your link to the tutorials, I will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done. I am in awe!! They look fantastic. I am going to try and make a dress for my daughter this week. Clothes scare me tho!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping in from Sew Retro. Fantastic pants! I still have yet to sew a pair. I have a Simplicity Amazing Fit pattern that I want to try since I can't buy pants that I'm happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, i've been meaning to pick up this pattern for a while! you've just reminded me :) I might try making my first pair of trousers! Yours look great, they fit beautifully :)
    Ashley x

    ReplyDelete
  14. And so you should be proud - they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great, Jane! I'm also doing Sunni's sewalong and going with a different pattern. If you think yours are high waisted you should see mine! I need to shorten the waist otherwise I'm pretty sure it looks like a bust shelf, if I can invent a new term. I'm about 7/8 leg and 1/8 bust in the unaltered version :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done, they look lovely. And everyone always says making trousers is to be feared, so you can feel extra good to have overcome that hurdle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lawks, Jane - these trousers are wonderful - what a fantastic fit. I love everything about them. But how odd to find that you are only an inch taller than me - I had somehow subconsciously placed you at about 5'10, so this came as a shock.

    I do, of course, love that you have completed another sew-along with no shilly-shallying around waiting for others. You can now cheerlead from the sidelines in your perfectly fitted strides!

    Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are stunning Jane and they look so flattering too! I want to try them so badly! I'm also only 5'2" and always struggle to find well fitting trousers on the highstreet, so this pattern looks like a must!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great work! They look stunning. I want to make a pair of pants but I am a bit scared. I have a shorts pattern waiting for me to make them and some material ready for the muslin but I just haven't had the courage to start yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great! They are a perfect fit and I love the color and the combination with the striped sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great! You may have sold me on trying to sew trousers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look great! Though I tower over you at 5'3" *grin* I've been leery of trying a high-waisted pant. Those look so great, I'm going to have to add that pattern to my to-sew list! I bet they'd look great with an untucked blouse, too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for your lovely comments everyone, they really do make my day. And one from Sunni as well, wow, that's like getting a gold star from teacher!
    To anyone tempted to try the pattern I say go for it, as well as being foolproof, it's also a great value pattern as it includes a top, skirt and jacket pattern.
    Hello to all you fellow vertically challenged friends, nice to know I'm not alone and Florence, to be considered 5' 10", even in somebody's imagination is wonderful! Thanks again everyone. xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've made these trousers twice and love them. I especially like the linen blend ones I did. You mentioned the darts on the back of yours --mine look exactly the same with that little dent/pouf at the tip. I still like them though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those trousers are gorgeous! You've inspired me to try -- I can never find pants I like, let alone pants that fit well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I love them! and the fit is perfect, you deserve to look smug :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well done you! I'm still convinced any trousers I tried to make would end up fitting terribly so I'm impressed that yours look great.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look lovely! I just found your blog through the Crepe Dress Sew-along Flickr page. It's fabulous! I'm making pants myself today. Not that pattern though. (But I do have it.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look fabulous! I'm still gearing myself up to tackle a pair of trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Aren't these great?! I just clicked over from SewRetro because I noticed that we'd made the same pants. I also thought these were a breeze to make and I wear them ALL the time. I'm thinking to soon make another pair, but not sure what colour... Am yet to try the blouse, but perhaps one day.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for your comments everyone, Susan and Lexi it's good to know you've both used the same pattern and that you actually wear them all the time. Susan, glad your darts are the same as mine too! Just looked in a magazine and seen that high waisted 40's style trousers are THE thing to wear this spring - hoorah! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great job! I find with my figure that trousers are always a problem to make but after reading your advice (making it from muslin first etc) I will give it a go again. Thanks.
    Loredana
    www.loredana61.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. A- they are Adorable
    B- they are Beautiful
    C- they're the Cuties I Adore

    Best,
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh yeah, the pants fit so well, great job. I just stumbled upon your blog. i love love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wonderful wonderful pants. I just picked up this pattern and seeing your version, I am glad I pick it. Did you line your pants?

    And please please please share where you got your bunny fabric!?!?!?!?!?

    meekaso (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are amazing. I am so making these.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...