Monday 15 November 2010

Finished Beignet!

Hoorah, at last I've finished my Beignet skirt from Collette Patterns and I'm SSOOO pleased with it.  


I made it in a navy cotton drill with red detailing.  The pattern was great to work with and I whipped through it, until I got to the section that made me break out in a cold sweat - the twelve buttons and buttonholes. I know some sewers have certain sewing tasks they hate/can't do very well - well buttons and buttonholes are definitely mine.  I took me almost the same amount of time to make the buttonholes and sew on the buttons than it did to sew the entire rest of the skirt.  I just about managed to get them done without ruining the whole thing, apart from one rogue one that unfortunately looks like the Frankenstein's monster of buttonholes. This was thanks to a last minute slip of the hand with the seam ripper (and yes, it was the LAST buttonhole after 11 perfect ones, sob!) Once the skirt is buttoned up though, you don't even notice it, as my husband helpfully told me whilst I was mopping up my tears.



Things I liked about this pattern:
1) The instructions.  As ever, lovely and clear and easy to follow.

2) The fit.  I cut out my size and didn't have to make one adjustment, it fitted me like a glove.  I know some bloggers have had problems with the fit, so I think my body shape and this style just happen to be a good match.  I'm on the curvy side so maybe this helps?

3) The design.  I love the way the skirt is put together, it's so clever.  I particularly like the facings (which I'm so pleased I made in a contrast fabric, thanks Tilly for the idea!) and the lining which neatly covers over all the seams underneath.


Look at the facing!
4) The fact that the skill level is Intermediate!  I'm feeling super pleased with myself about this one particularly!

Here's one last look at the contrasting pockets.



16 comments:

  1. Looks great Jane, loving the different red themed outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful. I love all the detailing (and the colour coordinated kitchen!). I'm not scared of a few buttons, but I think I'd find that many a bit daunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I wondered if anybody would notice the strategically placed red spotty crockery! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! I love LOVE the polka dot pockets, it's those little details that just make a garment that bit more special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! This one is now on my 'to sew' list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Midwinter red domino?

    I have some Midwinter Hawaii, but nothing as impressive (or as cute) as your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, you are clever to have spotted that!

    I used to have a few teacups on display but everything else was in a box for years, until my lovely husband built me the display shelves recently. I need to make more red spotty clothes now to co-ordinate! Off to look up Midwinter Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Jane, this skirt is so cute! I particularly love the pockets in the contrasting fabric. I've never made a skirt and I always find shop-bought ones don't fit me very well...maybe I should give it a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! I need to make one like this now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fabulous, very chic! I especially love the navy/red contrast. Might need to go buy that pattern... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's FAB-U-LOUS! I so love it! Navy and red is such a great combo and it goes with so many things! good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A brilliant version of the skirt. Love the red and white spots and the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a really lovely skirt - well done! And I love the contrast pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic! What a gorgeous skirt, it fits you so well too! The contrast facing is a nice touch. (And don't feel bad.. I nearly finished my version but left it for months before I did the buttonholes.. eleven is a scary amount of buttonholes no matter how long you've been sewing!)
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful, I love polka dots, very gorgeous...
    It's a great job
    Bravo in French

    (sorry for my very bad english language)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane Jane Jane I tried again (and failed again) last night to 'turn' my belt loops using a loop turner but it just doesn't work. My material (not terribly heavy denim) just won't turn! How did you do it - any tips? What am I missing? Help!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...